- Book Name: Thomas Calculus 14th Edition PDF
- Author: GEORGE B. THOMAS, JR.
- Pages: 1212
- Size: 29 MB
Thomas Calculus 14th Edition Pdf Free Download
Thomas’ Calculus, Fourteenth Edition, provides a modern introduction to calculus that focuses on developing conceptual understanding of the underlying mathematical ideas. This text supports a calculus sequence typically taken by students in STEM fields over several semesters. Intuitive and precise explanations, thoughtfully chosen examples, superior figures, and time-tested exercise sets are the foundation of this text. We continue to improve this text in keeping with shifts in both the preparation and the goals of today’s students, and in the applications of calculus to a changing world.
Many of today’s students have been exposed to calculus in high school. For some, this translates into a successful experience with calculus in college. For others, however, the result is an overconfidence in their computational abilities coupled with underlying gaps in algebra and trigonometry mastery, as well as poor conceptual understanding. In this text, we seek to meet the needs of the increasingly varied population in the calculus sequence. We have taken care to provide enough review material (in the text and appendices), detailed solutions, and a variety of examples and exercises, to support a complete understanding of calculus for students at varying levels.
Thomas Calculus 14th Edition Pdf Free Download
Additionally, the MyMathLab course that accompanies the text provides adaptive support to meet the needs of all students. Within the text, we present the material in a way that supports the development of mathematical maturity, going beyond memorizing formulas and routine procedures, and we show students how to generalize key concepts once they are introduced. References are made throughout, tying new concepts to related ones that were studied earlier. After studying calculus from Thomas, students will have developed problem-solving and reasoning abilities that will serve them well in many important aspects of their lives.
Mastering this beautiful and creative subject, with its many practical applications across so many fields, is its own reward. But the real gifts of studying calculus are acquiring the ability to think logically and precisely; understanding what is defined, what is assumed, and what is deduced; and learning how to generalize conceptually. We intend this book to encourage and support those goals.
New to This Edition
We welcome to this edition a new coauthor, Christopher Heil from the Georgia Institute of Technology. He has been involved in teaching calculus, linear algebra, analysis, and abstract algebra at Georgia Tech since 1993. He is an experienced author and served as a consultant on the previous edition of this text. His research is in harmonic analysis, including time-frequency analysis, wavelets, and operator theory.
This is a substantial revision. Every word, symbol, and figure was revisited to ensure clarity, consistency, and conciseness. Additionally, we made the following text-wide updates:
• Updated graphics to bring out clear visualization and mathematical correctness.
• Added examples (in response to user feedback) to overcome conceptual obstacles. See Example 3 in Section 9.1.
• Added new types of homework exercises throughout, including many with a geometric nature. The new exercises are not just more of the same, but rather give different perspectives on and approaches to each topic. We also analyzed aggregated student usage and performance data from MyMathLab for the previous edition of this text. The results of this analysis helped improve the quality and quantity of the exercises.
• Added short URLs to historical links that allow students to navigate directly to online information.
• Added new marginal notes throughout to guide the reader through the process of problem solution and to emphasize that each step in a mathematical argument is rigorously justified.
New to MyMathLab®
Many improvements have been made to the overall functionality of MyMathLab (MML) since the previous edition. Beyond that, we have also increased and improved the content specific to this text.
• Instructors now have more exercises than ever to choose from in assigning homework. There are approximately 8080 assignable exercises in MML.
• The MML exercise-scoring engine has been updated to allow for more robust coverage of certain topics, including differential equations.
• A full suite of Interactive Figures have been added to support teaching and learning. The figures are designed to be used in lecture, as well as by students independently. The figures are editable using the freely available GeoGebra software. The figures were created by Marc Renault (Shippensburg University), Kevin Hopkins (Southwest Baptist University), Steve Phelps (University of Cincinnati), and Tim Brzezinski (Berlin High School, CT).
• Enhanced Sample Assignments include just-in-time prerequisite review, help keep skills fresh with distributed practice of key concepts (based on research by Jeff Hieb of University of Louisville), and provide opportunities to work exercises without learning aids (to help students develop confidence in their ability to solve problems independently).
• Additional Conceptual Questions augment text exercises to focus on deeper, theoretical understanding of the key concepts in calculus. These questions were written by faculty at Cornell University under an NSF grant. They are also assignable through Learning Catalytics.
• An Integrated Review version of the MML course contains pre-made quizzes to assess the prerequisite skills needed for each chapter, plus personalized remediation for any gaps in skills that are identified.
• Setup & Solve exercises now appear in many sections. These exercises require students to show how they set up a problem as well as the solution, better mirroring what is required of students on tests.
• Over 200 new instructional videos by Greg Wisloski and Dan Radelet (both of Indiana University of PA) augment the already robust collection within the course. These videos support the overall approach of the text—specifically, they go beyond routine procedures to show students how to generalize and connect key concepts.
©enotes4u.com/ thomas calculus 14th edition pdf free download.